Our 120th celebrations marked a wonderful occasion in the life of the School, and testament to Walford’s growth and success since its humble beginnings.
Walford was founded in 1893 by Miss Lydia Adamson in her family home in Fisher Street, Malvern. Under her astute leadership and then that of Miss Ellen Benham, who encouraged the sciences, the school flourished.
The family ethos of early years remains a distinctive characteristic of Walford today. Hundreds of schools opened in those early first decades of Adelaide's settlement and Walford is one of the few that survived the time of the Depression and continued its growth to become a leading girls' school in Australia today.
In 1917 Miss Mabel Jewell Baker bought the growing school and moved it to its present site. Miss Baker fostered a reputation for sound scholarship from a religious base and encouraged students in the arts, sport and co-curricular activities. She also introduced the Old Scholars' Association (1918), the Prefect system, the Parent Teacher Association and the school motto, Virtute et Veritate. At the end of 1955 when Miss Baker retired, Walford had 450 students and a well-established boarding house.
Walford was incorporated as a Church of England Girls' Grammar School in 1956 with Miss Nina Morrison as Headmistress. She was followed by Dr Helen Reid AM (1972-1991) and then Mrs Marilyn Haysom (1992-2004). As the school grew, adjacent properties were purchased and an extensive building program was undertaken.
In May 2004 Mrs Helen Trebilcock become the first Head of Walford to use the title of Principal. Mrs Trebilcock had a strong commitment to the education of girls and was respected by her peers for her energetic, inspirational and dedicated approach to her work. Until her retirement she reinforced Walford's reputation for encouraging the pursuit of excellence in every student.
In October 2012, Ms Rebecca Clarke accepted the invitation of the Council of Governors to become the eighth leader of Walford. Today Walford aims to provide the finest education for girls through rigorous and challenging teaching, an extensive and varied co-curricular program and a supportive and encouraging Christian environment.