Chewings: Mid-Year Reception Ready Program
Reception Ready (5 Year Old Program - Terms 3 and 4 only)
Walford’s Reception Ready class is available to children who turn 5 during the year who will embark on a full year of Reception in the following year.
This full-time program is designed to facilitiate a smooth and seamleass transition into Reception, and this class will see learning experiences more closely aligned with those encountered in the first year of formal schooling.
Our Reception Ready Curriculum will provide:
- An inquiry based approach to learning in which the Early Years Learning Framework, International Baccalaureate Primary Years Program and Australian Curriculum underpin the program.
- A focus on literacy and numeracy including an introduction to Jolly Phonics and mini readers for the children to keep. Take home borrowing of books from the Junior School Library.
- An integrated approach to science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) with a specialist teacher. Children are introduced to robotics and coding using app-enabled Sphero, BB-8, Osmo iPad system and Cubetto.
- An introduction to the French language through the Early Learning Languages Australia (ELLA) Program.
- Specialist teaching of Music, Physical Education (PE), Visual Arts, and the Little Scientist Program.
- A Professional in Residence Program (PIRP) where children will meet and learn from ‘real life’ professionals across a range of learning areas.
- A Gardening/Sustainability focus with children maintaining the ELC vegetable garden and create the Reception Ready Growers’ Market to sell their produce.
- Participation in the Junior School Sports Day and annual Concert.
- Carefully tailored excursions to complement and enrich the classroom learning experience.
- Creation of a Learning Journal for children to document their learning. writing practice, numeracy concepts, photos and reflections.
Our Reception Ready approach to wellbeing will include:
- A social and emotional learning curriculum (The Kimochis Program).
- The opportunity for screening by Allied Health Professionals in areas including speech, vision and hearing and Occupational Therapy.
- A fundamental movement skills assessment.
Our Reception Ready Junior School Orientation will enable:
- Regular shared learning experiences with Reception teachers and students.
- Opportunities for mentoring and collaboration with Junior School students.
- Weekly attendance at Walford Junior School Assemblies.
- Online lunch ordering from the Fig Tree Café.
Families will use the communication tool, SEESAW to share in their child’s learning in real time. Parents can engage meaningfully with their child’s activities and progress throughout their schooling.
At the end of the year, children will receive a comprehensive assessment portfolio, which will indicate that they are Reception Ready.
Limited places are available.
Click here for more information.
What our parents are saying about Reception Ready
“Lily loves going to ‘school’ each day and especially looks forward to joining the ‘big girls’ in Reception when they have shared contact sessions. From our perspective, the greatest strength of the program is the wonderful teaching staff. From the moment we first visited Walford, one could feel that it was a warm and caring environment and that the teaching staff were passionate about educating children. With specific reference to the Reception Ready program, we have found that Lily’s naturally inquisitive nature has been nurtured, especially with respect to the specialist art and science lessons provided to the children. The program has removed some of the mystery from commencing reception. Lily knows the campus, the teachers and the routine of school, which will eradicate a lot of the trepidation normally associated with starting school. Instead of approaching this new situation with fear, she will be ready to hit the ground running.” Marc
"My daughter has thoroughly enjoyed her time in Reception Ready, in particular the time spent with the 'big girls' in the Reception classes, exploring different part of the school that they might not normally spend time in, and getting to know the teachers in the Junior School whom she will spend more and more time with as she gets older. The Reception Ready program helps to create a sense of 'community' in the girls’ minds and contributes towards making them feel comfortable and a part of the greater Walford school community. Having participated in two terms of Reception Ready I feel like my daughter is better equipped to handle the transition from pre-school to full-time school.” Rachel
“We are pleased that we selected the Reception Ready program for our son. It has allowed him to become accustomed to a full week schedule in a familiar and supportive environment and hence eased his transition into school next year.” Ann
“We are so happy with the Reception Ready program and the Walford ELC in general. Ellie loves going to Walford and enjoys every day with Miss Silvestri and her classmates. The program is both nurturing and inspiring and we are delighted to hear about all the new things she is learning and enjoying. I have every confidence that Reception Ready is providing a great introduction to school and our daughter is certainly excited about starting Reception. Thank you for this wonderful program.” Jodi