Walk Safely to School Day - Friday 19 May
Well it’s that time of year again when our school seriously starts talking about walking!
Parents, grandparents and care-givers are also invited to join us on our walk to school.
We have two points of departure for families to choose from, and volunteer teaching staff, who will walk back to school with the girls for guidance and protection.
Please join us at 8.00am sharp at either:
- Cnr Fullarton Road and Fisher Street with Mrs Spyrou and Ms McCall
- Cnr King William Rd and Northgate Street at Heywood Park with Mrs Roberts and Mrs Davidson
Walk Safely to School Day asks that we all consider our transport habits and try to incorporate more walking as part of a healthy, active way to get around. And although walking all the way to school isn’t realistic for many of us, it’s quite easy to figure out how you can build a walk into your family’s daily routine.
You can teach your child the healthy habit of walking more by:
- Walking with them the whole way to school
- If they get the bus or train, walk past your usual stop and get on at the next stop
- If you have to drive, park the car a few blocks away from the school and walk the rest of the way.
Regular exercise like walking with your child not only helps them (and you!) beat chronic problems like obesity, heart disease, behavioural and mental health issues and diabetes. It also gives you a great opportunity to teach your child safe ways to behave around roads and traffic.
Remember, Active Kids are Healthy Kids so get planning your own Walk Safely to School Day journey for Friday 19 May 2017!
For more information, visit www.walk.com.au